A user with the Workflow Admin permission create the company, contract, and project workflow templates that are used by the Workflow Wizard, which is launched whenever a user adds a workflow to a Company, Contract, or Project Profile. In creating a workflow template, a Workflow Admin develops a set of steps designed to accomplish one of their company's business processes or procedures.
Creating a workflow template involves (1) identifying all the steps in the workflow (2) assigning an owner (responsible party) for each step (3) identifying any prerequisite steps that must be performed before an action or communication step can be completed, as well as stipulate what steps must be revisited/completed if a step that requires approval is declined/approved, and (4) setting restrictions for the use of the workflow template.
1. Click the Gear Icon in the Navigation Toolbar, and click Workflow Templates.
3. In the Workflow Templates browse screen, click New in the toolbar.
If your organization has many similar workflows with only minor differences in the steps, create a Master Workflow Template that contains all possible steps. Using the workflow template's Copy feature, simply make a copy of the Master Workflow Template and edit the workflow steps accordingly.
4. In the Workflow Template Edit screen:
- Enter a descriptive name for the workflow in the Template Name field.
- Provide a concise description of the purpose of the workflow in the Template Description field since precise names and descriptions will help users select the correct template when running the Workflow Wizard.
5. Click Add Step to add a step to the workflow.
- Make a selection in the Type list.
- Action Item – requires a user to perform a task or action.
- Communication – requires a user to send an email message.
- Simple Gateway – requires the approval of one user.
- Gateway – requires the approval of more than one user and employs a routing table.
- Click in the Step Name field to activate it, and enter a name for the step.
- Click in the Step Description field to activate it, and enter a description of the step.
- Be concise, but clear since this description displays when a user is assigning the step in the Workflow Wizard, and it also appears in the email message that is delivered to the those who can complete the step.
- Click in the Function/Routing table list to activate it, and select all the user roles that have the authority to be a "step owner" for an Action Item or Communication step.
- For a Simple Gateway step, select the user function(s) that can approve the step.
- For a Gateway step, select the appropriate routing table category for the step.
- (Optional) Select the Lock Object check box to lock the contract at this step so that no further edits can be made.
- (Optional) Click in the Contract Status list to activate it, and select the new status that Conga Contracts should assign to the contract when this step is completed.
To re-order the steps in the template, click on a step record to select it, and then drag-and-drop the step to the desired position in the list. If you are successfully moving the step, the prompt displays.
6. Assign Declined/Approved Steps:
- Click on any Gateway or Simple Gateway step to display a Declined Step and an Approved Step list.
- In the Declined Step list, select the number of the step that should be repeated if the Gateway step is not approved.
- In the Approved Step list, select the number of the step that should be performed next if the Gateway step is approved.
7. (Optional) Assign Pre-Requisite Steps:
- Click on any Action Item or Communication step to display a Prerequisite Step(s) multi-select list.
- Select all the steps that must be completed prior to the selected step.
8. Click Save.
Setting Workflow Template Restrictions
Restrictions must be set for workflow templates so that only the appropriate templates are available when users runs the Workflow Wizard from a Company, Contract, or Project Profile.
1. In the Workflow Template Edit screen, click the Restrictions tab.
2. Make the appropriate selections to restrict the use of the routing table when the Workflow Wizard is run from a Company, Contract, or Project Profile:
- Company multi-select lists
- Company Group
- Legal Entity
- Contract multi-select lists
- Contract Type
- Contract Group
- Agreement Type
- Project Type multi-select list
3. Define the Properties for the workflow template:
- Lock Workflow Teams check box - select to ensure the workflow team selected for this template in the Workflow Wizard cannot be edited by a user.
- Limit Workflow Owners to Admins check box - select to ensure that all the individual step owners for this workflow have at least one Administrator permission.
- Allow Reassign Step Owner check box - select to permit the step owners in the workflow to assign their responsibility for completing the step assigned to them to another person.
- Automatically Assign Step Owners to a Contract Responsibility check box - select to ensure Conga Contracts assign all the step owners in the workflow to the same position of responsibility for the contract, displaying their name/responsibility in the Responsibilities section of the Contract Profile.
- When the Contract Responsibility list displays, select the responsibility to be assigned to all step owners.
- Limit Workflow Teams to My Teams check box - select to limit the workflow teams that can use the template to only those teams to which the Administrator who created the workflow belongs.
- Auto Assign Runner to Step Owner check box - select to ensure the Administrator who creates the workflow template to be included in the list of possible step owners for all workflow steps.
- Allow Reassign Approver check box - select to allow the original approver of a step to reassign the responsibility of approving the step to another user.
- Allow Step Reassignment to Anyone Regardless of Function check box - select to allow a step owner to reassign the responsibility for completing the step to any member of the Workflow Team, even if the team member does not hold the user function needed to complete the step.
4. Click Save.