The Aggregate option is used to calculate a total, average, or standard deviation for a column of data in an analysis. An aggregate can also be set to display the minimum or maximum value in a column of data, count the number of items, or count the number of distinct (unique) items.
The analysis in the screen shot below identifies upcoming contract event. The Event Date field is aggregated using the Count Distinct function, and the Contract Value field is aggregated using the Average function.
1. Click Reports in the Navigation Toolbar, and select the BI Toolbox link in the menu.
3. In the Analysis screen, click , located to the right of the Table header.
4. When the screen refreshes, click the Aggregate tab.
You can also aggregate the data in a column by clicking on its column header, selecting Aggregate in the drop-down menu, and then making a selection in the second menu.
5. When the Calculate totals, averages and such for the top and grouped levels section displays:
- Select a date, value, or text field in the Data Column list.
- Select an available aggregation for the selected field in the Aggregate Function list.
- Click .
- Remove an aggregate grouping by clicking its button.
- Replace an aggregation by making a different selection in the Data Column list and clicking the aggregate's button.
- (Optional) Change the display of the aggregate using the Layout options:
- Changes the selection in the Results Positioning list to Bottom to display the aggregation at the bottom of the column.
- Select the Hide Function Names check box to display only the numeric value for the aggregation. For example, Distinct Count: 8 will display as 8.
6. (Optional) Use the Table header's toggle icon to hide/display the aggregate section.
You do not need to save the analysis to retain the changes you make by aggregating data.